Tuesday, March 25, 2014

For Better or Worse

Yesterday was my 7th anniversary. So excuse my absence if you would and excuse the mush today. That's right it's massive mush day.
When I was going through my divorce it was a tough time. As with any divorce it was not a one sided affair. I have my faults and I know it so I will not place blame here. What I will say is I was making 1000 a month with an 800 a rent payment and a 400 dollar car payment. No, utilities were not included.
I had two little kids that also needed to be fed. As you can imagine I was robbing Peter to pay Paul.
I refused to get on well fare, my car was about to be repossessed. I had very little food in the house. In fact I had enough for one more meal. I was at my wits end. This is when Phillip called to check on me. We had been dating for a couple of months now and I had not told him anything about my finances. 
On top of all of this my kids were leaving for New Mexico with their father for Christmas and Phillip was leaving for Turkey. It would be my first Christmas alone. 
I did something I never do. I burst into tears and told him everything. I felt better after my cry. I knew something would work out. I prayed for help never knowing that help would come in a most unexpected way. 
About two hours after I vented to Phillip, he showed up at my door in a blue Ford explorer. I was confused. Phillip drove a black Toyota Tacoma extended cab in mint condition. What he was driving had been beat to hell and back. 
He told me he had sold his truck and gave me 2000 dollars to hold me until he got back.  He didn't want to worry about the kids having food or my having a car or a place to live while he was gone.  He was worried about my kids? Wow! He barely knew them. I argued and refused the money at first. What if we didn't work out? He informed me that if we didn't work out I was to consider it a gift. I was stunned.
Who does that? He hasn't stopped loving and caring for me or my kids since then.
Shortly after we got married my health started to go down hill fast. I had surgery our first Christmas together. They thought it was cancer, turned out it was just an abnormally large cyst. Then my eye's started going. First the right one and now the left. 
Through it all Phillip has been my rock. He has never left my side nor has he ever made me feel like it was my fault we lost everything because of my medical bills. (I do that to myself.) I can't imagine my life without him. I don't even want to. That man took his vows seriously. For better or worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer. 
Thank you for being the great guy that you are Phil. I love you more today than I ever have before. When I asked God for help I'm glad you were the angel he sent to save me.

7 comments:

  1. Despite all the issues you have faced, it sounds to me as selling that truck and gifting you the money was a damn good investment that is continuing to pay dividends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!..... and thanks for visiting my blog. I did put my book and movie review stuff in with the nature blog cause well 2 was too many to keep up. Not like having two kids though which me and the missus did quite successfully....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    Tony was "Santa" for years for the boys. And our very own milkman... delivering mail to my back doorstep at 630 am (before work) 3 times weekly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for both of you! And happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to the both of you. It is amazing how we get help from God.
    Take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need to build up our means of support at some point. I just hope that the divorce itself didn't leave you too dismantled. With all the fine print covered and all the attendant issues settled, it should be a building block for crafting yourself a new future. It helps to have a real shoulder to lean on, indeed. Congratulations on you both for pulling through that pass! All the best!

    Jerry Brady @ Lambert And Williams

    ReplyDelete