Thursday, April 3, 2014

Switchin


My computer is giving me fits. Please excuse my long absence. Not sure how long I can be on this thing but for now it is working..
I am so sick and tired of our youth. They have no respect, no work ethic, no discipline whatsoever. 
I know that sounds harsh, but it is a fact. I love kids don't get me wrong. However our society has determined that kids can do whatever they like and we can't stop them because it is abuse.
My Mamaw has a different take on things. She has a switch. (if you hadn't guessed by her name she is a Southern lady.)
When we were kids she would switch us when we disobeyed, fought or any other inappropriate behavior. 
Monster! Barbarian! I know, I know! Not very politically correct. However, to this day we adore her. 
One time my brothers and I were climbing on the outside of the banister. The stairs were marble and we must have been at least 7 feet off the ground. We had been told multiple times not to do this but it was fun. As we hung there precariously my youngest brother howled, then my middle brother howled, I knew it was coming and sure enough I howled. Mamaw stood behind us on the stairs below walking up and down just a switchin us. It stung like blue blazes. Right on the backside. When we scrambled up and over the banister she came and faced us. 
"I told ya'll not to do that. You are gonna crack your skulls open. Don't do it again or I'll give you, youngins another."
We did NOT do that again. 
We got many switchins. Sometimes she would just pull it out and the threat alone would stop our behavior. It never bruised us. It just stung. My point is we sit and wonder why our younger generations are acting the way they do, yet we have taken the 10 commandments out of schools, we won't let our precious babies be disciplined by the schools and we don't do it ourselves. They have no enforced rules.
I really think what this world needs is a few more Mamaw's with switches.   

6 comments:

  1. I remember writing one hundred times I shall not do - - - - what ever it was that I did wrong. LOL I did need that monitoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who told of this kind of discipline. His father had a paddle which hung over the front door. He said the paddling wasn't as bad as the whole process. The paddle had a name. He said when dad called out, "Go fetch 'Uncle Charles' just getting that paddle and the anticipation was worse then the beating. He did not often make the same mistake twice.

    Beating...bad! Ritualized discipline when done right...good.

    I say you only have to really discipline kids twice. Once to let them know what the consequences are, and twice to confirm the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never experienced a "switchin". But I've experienced the threat of it! And that was enough to scare me and make me obey. Some kids are so disrespectful these days. I wouldn't even think of behaving like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like most things in life in the right proportion your basically right....:) The discipline part is the ultimate responsibility of the parents aided and abated the schools. The Ten Commandments (basically implying Christianity)part in publically funded, public schools does not work in a multi-religious, and non religious society. It also illegal because of the separation of church and state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, we even has a switch tree!!!

    ReplyDelete