Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A military life.

Due to the reaction to my last post I though I should clear some things up.
Since the beginning of the Armed forces, less than 1 percent of the population has served. It is still a substantial number of people and families. 
However, when our men and women join, as spouses we understand, (believe me it has been made clear from the get go) that there are dangers, and there will be times when we will be alone. 
It is something that we undertake in support of our men and women that serve to protect our freedoms and rights as American citizens. Most spouses that read my last post laughed and cried, stating they had said most of those things at one point or another. 
It is our lives. We get it. 
I did not mean to exclude the men that stay at home with the kids. I am sure they are just as lonely, sad, and sometimes even distraught over their spouses being gone. I can only speak for the women as they are the ones that I know.
I have been a military spouse for almost 20 years. No one can take that from me. I have worked hard taking care of my children, the house, bills, animals and yes even vehicles. Sometimes even dealing with work and school at the same time. 
Not everyone is cut out to be a military spouse. This is why the divorce rate is almost 50 percent. However, the military has changed their stance on families. They are starting to realize that an unhappy home makes a bad soldier. More and more they are reaching out to the families with support groups, and different programs for the children and spouses to participate in. 
Please never take what I wrote as a complaint. It is just our way of living. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am proud of my guy and what he does. I am proud that I am raising children who love and respect their country and what it has taken to give them the freedoms that they have. I am proud every day at 5 when the Anthem plays and children stop playing, face the music or flag, with hands over their little hearts. It is a breath taking sight. It gives back some of the pride in our Nation that many seem to have lost. 
I hope that clears up any misconceptions that may have occurred due to my last post.

3 comments:

  1. well said from a woman who knows the life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is a retired Navy Chief. His wife and children seem like they have it all, but the time they spent away from each other and the struggles they went through have been a huge test. They did pull though hard times and that is how they live - - - - a mix of hard and good days. We all do that but with families of armed forces, it is magnified several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all you do. I still think universal service would be the way to go for many reasons allowing and still supporting a "professional corps."

    ReplyDelete