Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Stomp boy stomp

Life takes so much time. I know that is a stupid way of saying it but it is true. Watching my little Lily is very time consuming but rewarding. Which is why I have not been here much lately. Anyway here is one event I dealt with this week.
I was talking to my youngest, Mr. P, and we were discussing discipline. 
He was telling me what he remembered about me punishing him when he was little. He said that one time when he was little he pitched a fit and I made him stomp for two hours.
I laughed.
What actually happened is that he threw a tantrum the likes of which I have never seen before. He threw himself on the floor kicking and screaming and beating his fist on the floor.
I picked him up and took him to my room, still flailing like a hyena and sat him on the floor.
I then told him that if he wanted to throw a fit he could.
"Stand up and stomp and scream, bot."
He looked at me all kinds of confused, but did as he was told. After a few seconds he stopped.
"I didn't tell you to stop. Keep going. I'll tell you when you are done."
Now, this did not make him happy and he protested but I insisted and so he continued. 
I made him do this for five minutes. He fell on the floor crying and I picked him up and held him. I told him that I loved him but his behavior was not ok. I also explained that every time he pitched a fit of disobeyed me there would be consequences for his actions.
At this point in my life I was entering all new territory. You see Mr. P is not my biological son. He is my step son. However he is my heart son and I love him dearly.
He is turning out to be a very strong and sweet boy. I am proud of him. He knows not to push me and when he does he understands he will have to pay for it but he also knows that I love him.
Yes, life takes a lot of my time, but I'm realizing that it fly's by quickly and before I know it all my babies will be gone and I will have more than enough time to write and do what I want. For now I will write when I can find a minute and enjoy those precious people in my life.
I hope you are all having a wonderful week.

5 comments:

  1. bless you for your bond with your children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your life & your kids--blog when you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done dealing with the tantrum, especially hard when it is a step child...at least I am guessing in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother had the same solution with my brothers. I wish I could recall the incident, darn, but her punishment was repeating the bad behavior, over, and over, and over.....
    Carry one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea, though it did make me laugh a little. Pitching a fit is hard work - your step son probably got quite a cardio workout... LOL.

    And yes, EVERYTHING in life just seems to take sooo much time. I run three little errands, and - boom! - the entire afternoon is gone.

    ReplyDelete