Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Why I have been absent.

Due to some pretty serious health issues this week I have gone awol. I apologize. As most of you know I am diabetic. Diabetes does not like me nor I it. However, we have to co exist. As annoying as we are to each other, most times we manage ok. However, last week after my last post, I did something that seriously pissed my diabetes off.
It all started with the high school my son attends not answering my phone calls, nor returning them. Finally I get ahold of someone and they say that the person I need to talk to should be in the next day and to come in and see him. I wondered at this point if these people were mental as everyone knows I cannot drive anymore due to my eyes.
I agreed however, as I could not see any other way around it. Now to most people this does not sound like a big deal. Everyone was working and I couldn't get a ride. Then I thought I had one but it ended up falling through. 
So I walked with my son. It wasn't a bad walk on the way there. Still early enough that the weather was not to hot. 
Let me explain here that it is two miles to the front gate, then another 6 miles to the school. That's right. 8 miles there. The kicker was that when I got there the guy had left. So we left a message AGAIN, and started walking home. That's when it hit. My blood sugar was dropping. I ate what I had with me but knew it wouldn't be enough to get me home. So we walked another mile to get to a store and grabbed some food. At this point I realize that my feet have swelled. As I sat there I loosened my laces and the pain hit. 
Please understand that I am used to walking between 3 and 9 miles a day. However, it is usually broken up so I have rest periods after every 3 miles. Off we go again and by the time we climbed the hill to the gate I knew I was in trouble. 
As this is lengthy I will write the rest on Friday. 

7 comments:

  1. You are scaring me...! Obviously, you made it OK, since you are back, but - please, please, please - take care of yourself.

    And I hope you read the person who left the school before you met with him the riot act! Well, at least a small riot act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why you walked 17 miles that day... never a good idea without assistance... GEEZ it's like one of your lectures to me. :) fingers crossed you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one has said anything I wouldn't. We'll be back on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a long walk for somebody with Diabetese. My sugar is under control, but because I take Metformin I am careful as to how much exercise I do. Please take care of yourself. Take your time blogging. Your health comes first.

    ReplyDelete