Monday, June 9, 2014

Raising a generation of desensitized pansies

What? It's a contradiction of terms you say? Hear me out.
We are raising a generation that is so whimpy that any correction or what appears to be negative thoughts on behavior turns them into a bowl of melting jello. These kids are idealistic, but for the wrong ideals. They cannot take punishment as it is unfair. Their behavior is revolting. Their dress is revolting. The way they speak is unbelievable at best. They cannot finish a sentence coherently. I have heard more sentences finished with
"And like... Ya." What does that mean? They are overly sensitive to anything that is said. They quit jobs because someone corrected them or where not being nice. 
In our day you went out back and settled you differences and walked away friends or at least the argument was settled. You may have a black eye but things were good and clear. If you misbehaved in school you were in twice as much trouble at home and the teachers knew you had their backs. Instead, I hear parents berating under paid teachers that have 30 kid in their class that they are not allowed to discipline and the kids KNOW it. The parents take the kids side. What? We don't give A's anymore because it hurts Johnny's feelings because he only gets F's. Are you kidding me?
It's not his fault he doesn't do his homework and turn it in. Really?
They didn't give him enough time. Seriously?
We are expecting these kids to be productive members of society? Run our country?
Everyone is picking on him. Boo hoo. Toughen up buttercup. Try standing up for yourself. It always worked back in the day.
We can't discipline because it hurts the child emotionally. Yet we have more kids in Juvenile detention and in Prison than ever before.
We allow them to watch graphically violent movies, with zombies ripping people apart or serial killers blowing peoples brains out, Nay we do not only allow it we encourage it. We watch it with them.
Is it any wonder they don't think twice about taking guns into schools and blowing people away? Or in malls? Or even their own family members?
With all the self centered crap we teach our young is is any wonder that mothers kill their children, or give them up because it's just to much work, and I need some ME time. Are you freakin kidding me?
Is it any wonder that young fathers don't have what it takes to do whatever it takes to support their families? Isn't it easier to just live on welfare, food stamps, and any other government program available? After all it is the age of entitlement. Why should they have to conform and look and act a certain way just to make money when they can get it for free and still look like morons?
I want to shake people. When we were kids we used manners and said yes maam and yes sir. We didn't tell our parents no. We knew if we got that look we were gonna get it later. No need for words. We knew. These kids have no fear of repercussions for their actions. Why should they? There never has been any repercussions. Anything goes as long as it feels right. Just don't offend someone when you are doing it. 
Don't even get me started on the lack of respect for elders. In case you are wondering they have none.
I hate this lazy parenting plan that is currently in place. I heard one young lady ask her mother when she should be home. Mom said whenever. The child looked at her mother and said
"Can you just be my mom for once and tell me when I should be home?" She was 15. The mother looked at me and said 
"Can you believe what a little Bitch she is?" I stood gape jawed and responded
"I think she just wants a parent."
So this was a long rant and I don't blame you if you skipped it but I needed to put into words my frustration.

11 comments:

  1. I think you need a course in sensitivity training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure I'll just be gone when they run the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend is a hairdresser. She OFTEN hears young girls call their parents words I didn't know until college and then turn to the chair as if nothing happened. When she asks the mother if she's still doing the $130 frost and highlight, the mother just shrugs and says well, yeah..

    In our day, we'd been yanked out of the chair never to be seen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there are a number of kids out there who need more Vitamin N ("No!"), but most of the kids I know are responsible, smart, and courteous. Some are a bit rebellious during their teenage years, but that's not necessarily a serious thing, and those are not the kids your are talking about. But I do think that the ones you are talking about are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment on my "homeless and pets" post.
    Thank you for the link to my blog on your follow list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do understand what you ranted about. You bring up several good points. To add a different dimension, I know a number of youngsters who are polite who are making the most of today's even more confusing world. I have seen parents devoid of manners and their children actually having manners.

    I've also noticed quite few older folks who are extremely rude to young people. Not a good example to the kids.

    A thoughtful post, my friend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate that kids experience so many things well ahead of time these days - i.e. graduating from every grade - even sometimes with diplomas and caps and gowns. or proms with kings and queens elected in grade school! nothing seems special anymore as it is all 'special' for everyone.

    um, re: posting photos that are not as large as texas, when i load to my blog post, i choose files from my pc, upload them to the post, then i click on them to select a size - i use xl because my blog template is sized for that. some folks size their photos as large as they want BEFORE uploading them into a post, then select 'original size' when they upload them.

    when i load something to my sidebar, i select 'shrink to fit' checkbox so it'll automatically size it to fit within the sidebar measurements my template has in place.

    hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the kids are different in their own ways. They tackle all the problems in their own style. For sometimes they need the help from us after that they do by themselves! Growing kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel you!
    Kids nowadays are so different from our time. But parents should never give up and blame technology and modernization. We have the power to control technology not the other way around.

    Btw, Thanks very much for your frequent visit to my blog. I love blog hopping and your site is one of my fave. I can always relate to your posts though I am unable to live comments bec I'm using my mobile phone for browsing when I'm out.

    ReplyDelete