Sunday, June 15, 2014

A man of honor.

What qualities should a dad have? We all know a dad does not have to be a biological parent. We all know it's not a matter of money, or possessions. This is what I think a father should be like.
A man of integrity.
A man with good work habits.
A man that knows how to forgive.
A man that loves even when his heart is broken.
A man that can admit when he is wrong but stand strong in his belief's.
A man that knows that there is a time to play.
A man that can comfort even when he doesn't understand the problem. 
A man that loves his wife or at least respects the mother of his children.
A man that does not break promises.
A man that is ok threatening potential boyfriends
A man that can say things like I will open that door in a skirt if that boy comes over again.
A man that can rough house with his boys but isn't afraid to hug them and tell them he loves them.
A man of honor.
A patriot.
A man that is wise, and understanding.
A man that isn't ashamed to cry.
A man that is firm but gentle. 
Above all a man that teaches all these trait's to his boys and wants his girls to find a man with all these attributes.
In my case a Godly man that taught us at his knee to worship, love and fear God.
Thank you Dad for everything you have ever done and what you will surely do in the future. 
I could never ask for a better father. I miss you horribly. I love you.

9 comments:

  1. That is a lot, you had a good one. I think I fit a few of those, but certainly not all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have beautifully said about the father! Father is a very lovely person in all of our life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a list, Melynda. I suddenly realize why I'm not a father. No, I'm not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. And many of those traits seem to be dying away with each new generation. Boys need good role models growing up in order to learn about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear, hear. That's a lot on your list - but thankfully, fathers don't have to be perfect to be perfect fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a long long list. I agree with Pixel here, I loved my dad and do not remember having a list. Most probably, before looking for a potential father for their children, young girls can use this list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a deeply touching tribute to your beloved father. I embrace the virtues you have noted. As a single dad, I am strong and resilient.

    Bless you, my dear friend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete