Friday, July 4, 2014

Where did our give a crap go.

As most of you know by now I grew up in another country. I was born here in America and my parents are American however. 
Growing up in another country my parents taught us to respect the laws of the land, learn their culture and language, yet to remember our own culture an language. It was a hard line to walk yet they did it successfully. We always understood we were guest in France and that our real home was America.
On the 4th of July we celebrated Independence day and on the 14th we celebrated their Independence day. 
We didn't speak English in front of them but we spoke English in our home when we were alone. 
We had pride in America. It was the best country in the world. 
However, when I moved back here for school and to start my life here, I discovered that not everyone felt the same way. 
It was as if the American people were so used to their freedoms that they took them for granted. The signs in some of the places I lived were in English then in Spanish. People tried to make me speak Spanish to them when they were completely fluent in English. The word illegal was irrelevant. (still is) It seemed like these people that broke the law and came over without proper documentation, were rewarded with health care, food stamps, jobs and drivers licenses. 
I was baffled. No one seemed to care. No one seemed to mind that this great country was being run down and destroyed. No one seemed to care that the Constitution was being walked on or that our flag was being burned. No one seemed to care that others flags were flying above our own.
It seems that very few even noticed it was happening.
It still seems like that to me. 
However, I still love old Glory. I still listen in awe when the National Anthem is played every day at 5. I still love this country and still believe it is the greatest country in the world.
I still believe that wrong is wrong. I want others to feel some pride also. Don't get me wrong I know many feel the same way I do. 
I just don't understand why everyone doesn't. 
I hope this 4th of July, everyone will remember the real reason we celebrate this day. Remember the people that died so that we can be free and that includes all of our freedoms. I pray everyone take s moment to feel that surge of patriotism again. It is time to rebuild this country. 
We speak English here it is our language.
We fly our flag and no one eles belongs above it. 
Our rights are outlined in the Constitution and should be upheld by our government, not squashed and mocked.
Happy Forth of July everyone. 

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    As you know, Tony was not born here. HE became a NATURALIZED citizen long after he was "legal" (they came here legally, then he married for 8 years or so, divorced, so he was a legal citizen after they divorced) and it's funny... people EXPECT him to be loyal to Portugal because he was born there, when in fact the only connection he feels to that country is watching them play soccer. And in truth... he was still rooting for USA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words of hope, my friend. I like to think of America as a country that celebrates with open arms, the diversity of people who call America their home. I believe, most importantly, is that America has to stop being so insular. Thankfully, with the internet, with the interaction of blogs, this worldwide community is learning from each other. America, bless you and let's live in peace and hope.
    Happy Fourth of July to you and all my American friends.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete